Early Start Program
Get an early start on your SJSU degree.
California State University requires first-year students with remedial needs in math and English to participate in the Early Start Program. Early Start allows students to begin working towards college readiness in the summer prior to their freshman year. It is intended to help them complete their required remedial classes within the one year limit.
The Early Start program is required of all freshmen with an Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) score below 50 and an English Placement Test (EPT) score below 147 EXCEPT those who fall into one or more of the following exempt categories:
- Residents of a state other than California
- International students
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Summer Bridge students
- Students admitted after August 1
- Students with an Early Assessment Program (EAP) status of Conditionally Ready in Mathematics (exempt from Early Start mathematics only)
- Students with an Early Assessment Program (EAP) status of Conditionally Ready in English (exempt from Early Start English only)
If you are required to participate in the Early Start Program, you will be told how and where to sign up for Early Start classes through messages posted to your MySJSU account.
Students can satisfy their Early Start requirement at any CSU campus except Cal Maritime, but local students are strongly encouraged to attend Early Start classes at SJSU.
|Early Start FAQs|
|Early Start Course Descriptions|