Foreign Language Placement Examination

The placement test is recommended for those students who studied a language in high school or acquired language skills through life experiences such as foreign travel or study abroad.

If you have taken college level foreign language courses (at SJSU, a community college, or other university), you do not need to be tested. Just enroll in the course for which you qualify on the basis of units accumulated. If you are unsure about course equivalencies, call 408-924-4602 and you will be referred to an advisor.

Students may also take the Placement Test for Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Spanish or Vietnamese on an individual basis for the following semester. For details, call the Carmen Sigler Media Center at 408-924-4696.

For other languages, call 408-924-4602.