Academic Renewal

Graduating seniors with a grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 in the major, minor, SJSU, or overall college coursework, may request that all grades earned in a previous semester (or two semesters) be disregarded, to permit graduation. If the petition is approved, all grades and units earned during the semester will be disregarded when calculating GPAs for graduation, but the courses and grades will still appear on the transcript.


  • You must have applied for graduation and be ready to graduate.
  • You must have a GPA below 2.0 in a category required for graduation (major, minor, overall, SJSU)
  • At least 5 years must have elapsed since the semester you want to disregard.
  • You must have at least a 3.0 GPA in your most recent 15 units at SJSU, or 2.5 in the past 30 units, or 2.0 in the past 45 units.
  • No courses or units earned during the semester you want to disregard may be counted toward graduation.
  • You must document extenuating circumstances associated with the semester you want disregarded and show that your performance is not representative of your ability.

Apply for Academic Renewal (formerly known as 'Disregard of Previous Semester's Work') at