Under certain circumstances, the university may disregard up to two semesters of previous undergraduate course work taken at any institution from all considerations associated with the requirements for a baccalaureate degree. These circumstances are:
- The student has formally requested such action and presented evidence that substantiates that the work in question is substandard and not representative of her/his current scholastic ability and/or performance level, and
- The previous level of performance was due to extenuating circumstances, and
- All degree requirements except the earning of at least a "C" (2.0) grade point average have or will soon have been met. (University policy regarding academic renewal is not intended to permit the improvement of a student's grade point average beyond what is required for graduation.)
Final determination, that one or more terms shall be disregarded, shall be based on careful review of evidence by a committee appointed by the president. Such final determination shall be made only when:
Five years have elapsed since the most recent work to be disregarded was completed, and
- The student has earned in residence at SJSU since the most recent work being considered was completed:
- 15 semester units with at least a 3.0 GPA or
- 30 semester units with at least a 2.5 GPA or
- 45 semester units with at least a 2.0 GPA.
- When such action is taken, the student's record shall be annotated so that it is readily evident to users of the record, that NO work taken during the disregarded term(s), even if satisfactory, has been applied towards the meeting of degree requirements. However, all work must remain legible on the record.
- If another institution has acted to remove course work from consideration, such action shall be honored in terms of that institution's policy. But, elimination of any course work's consideration shall reduce by one semester the two semester maximum on the application of academic renewal to an individual SJSU student's record.
Apply for Academic Renewal (formerly known as 'disregard of previous semesters' work') at www.sjsu.edu/ugs.