Graduation Requirement - Physical Education (PE)
It is important that all students, regardless of major, have an opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills in physical activities. To accommodate the needs and interests of SJSU students, the Department of Kinesiology offers a diverse selection of activity courses which have the following goals:
- To provide a fundamental understanding of the influence physical activity has on physical and mental well-being;
- To promote development of a repertoire of skills for constructive leisure activity and a physically active lifestyle important to maintaining health;
- To provide an understanding of the guidelines for developing and maintaining physical fitness throughout the lifespan;
- To provide exposure to a variety of lifetime fitness activities and sports; and
- To enhance the student's liberal arts education and develop a well-rounded individual.
All students who matriculate at this university in the lower division (fewer than 60 units completed) must complete two units of physical education from two different Kinesiology/Dance activity courses (AS F73-5). To challenge the requirement, students must consult the Department of Kinesiology at least one semester prior to graduation (AS 96-12).
Kinesiology and Dance activity courses are not repeatable for credit. In addition, only one Intercollegiate Athletics course may be used to fulfill one unit of the physical education graduation requirement.