Final Examination Policy
In accordance with University Policy S17-1, faculty members are required to have a culminating activity for their courses, which can include a final examination, a final research paper or project, a final creative work or performance, a final portfolio of work, or other appropriate assignment. Supervision, Internship and individual study courses are not required to have a culminating activity.
Time Frame for Culminating Activities:
In the case where there is to be a timed, sit down final examination or an online synchronous final, it must occur during the scheduled final examination time for that course. The required submission date and time for take-home examinations, final papers or other culminating activities must fall no earlier than the beginning of the scheduled final examination time for the course. Online asynchronous final exams are to be treated like take-home exams. Final exams shall not be given, nor culminating activities due, during regularly scheduled class periods or on "Study/Conference Day." Supervision, Internship and individual study courses are not required to have a culminating activity.
Exceptions to Time Frame for Culminating Activities:
Exceptions for the above time frame are justified in the following circumstances:
- Performance courses in which it is impractical to examine each student individually in the time period assigned for final examinations; e.g. performance courses in theater arts, music, or athletics.
- Other such circumstances as approved by the chair with notification and rationale to be provided to the dean.
Circumstances in which students may request the rescheduling of a culminating activity:
a. A student may request the rescheduling of a culminating activity if there is a verifiable emergency.
b. A student may request the rescheduling of a culminating activity if three or more are scheduled/due within a 24-hour period. Requests must be made at least three weeks prior to the last class meeting of the semester.
- If one of the three or more culminating activities scheduled for the same day is a paper or project, the deadline for the paper/project will be moved to a mutually agreeable time within the final examination period.
- If three or more finals are scheduled on the same day, the student may request an alternative exam date and/or time from any one of the instructors.
- Final exam makeup day may be used for rescheduled exams.
c. Regarding a and b above: if a student and instructor are unable to reach agreement on rescheduling, the chair will first be consulted. If no agreement can be found through the chair, the dean (or designee) will be consulted.
d. Graduate students should refer to section on Master's Examinations - Finals.
Oversight of Culminating Activities
The department chairperson will oversee culminating activities (examinations; portfolios; research or creative projects) in a manner that assures that the rules for culminating activities are followed. If a dispute arises, the dean (or designee) will be consulted.