Graduation - Applying for the Master's Degree
- The Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy form must be approved by Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) before applying for graduation. Students should apply for graduation at least one full semester before the date of anticipated graduation by filing the Application for Award of Master's Degree. See www.sjsu.edu/gape for official deadline dates and downloadable graduate forms.
- Advancement to candidacy is permitted only when nine letter-graded units, all with grades of C or better, and the graduate Competency in Written English requirement have been completed (see www.sjsu.edu/gape/current_students/completing_masters/ for information on the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement).
- Only original signed documents are acceptable.
- All courses and requirements must be completed by the date of graduation.
- Any Incomplete (I), Report Delayed (RD), or Report Pending (RP) grades must be cleared before the degree can be awarded. Once the degree has been posted, no grade changes can be made to the record.
- If a student is unable to complete the course work stipulated on the "candidacy form" or if the date of graduation is delayed, a Graduation Date Change Request for Award of Master's Degree must be submitted to the Student Services Center. A $10.00 administrative fee must be paid at the Bursar's Office.
- All required forms must be submitted by the deadlines shown below. University deadlines are also posted on the GAPE website at www.sjsu.edu/gape/current_ students/deadlines/. Note that the deadlines provided are university deadlines; students should contact their departmental graduate advisor for departmental deadlines covering thesis, project, and comprehensive exams.
- Students are urged not to delay; failure to submit forms by the deadlines posted could delay graduation.