Get ready for the transition
- College students are swamped with information, usually far more than they can digest. Open and answer all mail from SJSU. Read SJSU's major publications - the SJSU Catalog and the SJSU Schedule of Classes at http://info.sjsu.edu.
- Fill out roommate and housing questionnaires carefully.
- We expect you to make transactions, not your parents.
- Get to know the physical environment of campus and campus services.
- Bring part of home with you - pictures of friends and family, yearbook, posters.
- Seek out faculty members and your advisor. Take advantage of their office hours.
- Explore academic options. Remember most college freshmen do not know what they want to major in. Most will change ideas about majors; not to know is normal.
- Leave time during the summer to be with friends and say good-bye.
- Remember, new friends can't immediately fill the gap left by separation from long-standing friendships.
- Get involved in at least one campus activity in your first year.
- Make time in your schedule for exercise, sleep, and "sit-down" meals.
- Remember, being independent doesn't mean you have to do everything yourself.