Submitting an Appeal to an Admission Decision
The admissions process is completely objective, based on each applicant's self-reported academic qualifications on the CSU Application for Admission. Therefore, for an appeal to have merit, it must bring to light new academic information regarding coursework or test scores earned prior to the time of application.
If you feel that you have information that will change this decision, please follow the detailed instructions for submitting an appeal listed below.
- Send us an email requesting that we reconsider your application within 15 business days from the date you are notified of our decision. The email must come from you (the applicant) and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your email must clearly outline your reasons for appealing the initial decision and a detailed plan for completing the missing requirement(s). The information you present should be new and compelling.
- Transcripts must be sent to validate the new information noted in your letter. Transcripts must include all coursework and grades completed to date, plus an official listing of the coursework in which you are currently enrolled. Transfer applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges attended, but do not need to submit high school transcripts.
- Letters of recommendation and personal statements or essays are not considered in the admission selection process at SJSU and cannot be submitted as part of your appeal.
- Note: You may submit a maximum of one appeal per academic term.
It is our usual practice to respond to appeals within three weeks of the date we receive them. However, we cannot guarantee a response by deadlines you may have at other colleges where you have applied. We encourage applicants to consider all available educational options.
Apply to a Later Term
Should you decide to continue your education via the community college system or at another university, we hope that you will reapply to SJSU for the next available term. Please monitor www.csumentor.edu for current information.