MA - Chemistry
This degree is designed for persons who seek to augment and enhance their knowledge of chemistry beyond the bachelor's level. It is intended only for those who are interested in high school or community college teaching, technical librarianship, scientific writing or those with significant research experience currently employed in the industrial sector. It is not recommended for those who wish to conduct or direct chemical research without prior industrial research experience.
Completing the Requirements for the MA - Chemistry
The program shall include 30 semester units beyond the bachelor's degree.
The course and unit requirements for the MA are the same as those for the MS listed above, with the following exceptions:
1. A maximum of two units of CHEM 285 and/or CHEM 291C shall be applied toward the degree.
2. The four-unit CHEM 298 research project for the MS degree shall be replaced by an approved three-unit (CHEM 297) MA project.
3. The MA program shall include an advanced chemistry laboratory course (2-4 units).
4. Master's Project Presentation (departmental seminar and final oral examination).
5. Submission of an M.A. Thesis approved by the student's research committee and by Graduate Studies and Research.
|Graduate Competency in Writing||0|
|At SJSU, students must pass the graduate competency in writing requirement. For information on the Competency in Writing Requirement, please see http://info.sjsu.edu/gcw.html.|
|Requirements of the Masters||30|
|CHEM 120S. Chemical Safety Seminar||1|
|CHEM 200-Level courses||15|
|Complete 2 units from:|
|CHEM 285. Seminar||0.5|
|Any Chemistry graduate advisor approved 100- or 200-level Chemistry course (19-21); one of the electives must be an advanced chemistry laboratory course (2-4)|
|CHEM 297. MA Special Study||1-3|
|CHEM 299. Master's Thesis||1-6|