Biological Sciences Department
As leaders in the education of a highly trained and diverse scientific workforce, our mission is to provide a dynamic educational experience by engaging students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning activities at the bench and in the field. Through these experiences our students will gain a conceptual and experiential understanding of the biological sciences spanning from molecules to ecosystems.
Our Program goals are to:
- Serve the diverse student population of our region.
- Educate students to be intellectually agile and technologically proficient.
- Provide students with intensive, rigorous laboratory and field experiences within the context of their regular coursework.
- Create individualized mentoring opportunities and state-of-the-art learning experiences within the context of our faculty research programs.
- Foster creativity, a sound theoretical foundation, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact cooperatively.
- Make substantial contributions to the scientific community through our research efforts and that of our students.
Students may apply for the honors program in Biology in BS - Biological Sciences, Concentration in Systems Physiology.
Students wishing to complete the honors program must:
1. Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in courses required in the major,
2. Have an overall SJSU GPA of 3.0 or higher, and
3. Complete Biology, Botany, or Zoology 186 "Senior Thesis".
Senior thesis courses involve the student in the completion of a research project under the direct supervision of a faculty member. As such, the research project must be on a mutually agreed upon topic. It is recommended that the student submit a proposal for research to the faculty member and have that proposal approved in the last semester of his/her junior year. The student is required to present the results of the research in written form and as a seminar.