Please note: the 2020-2021 Academic Year Catalog for SJSU will be available on April 28, 2020 at


Withdrawal from the University

Students may withdraw officially from all courses during the first two weeks of instruction without academic penalty (no "W" grade on academic record). Students who have compelling reasons to cancel their registration or who wish to withdraw from all classes after the last day to drop without a "W" grade should consult their instructors, department chair or school director, academic advisor, and, for undergraduates, Academic Advising and Retention Services in the Student Services Center. Counseling & Psychological Services might also be sought for assistance.

A completed Petition for Withdrawal form ( for undergraduates or a Graduate Petition for Course Drop/Semester Withdrawal ( for graduate students must be submitted. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses. Students who leave the university but who do not officially withdraw will receive a grade of "WU" (denotes failure for unauthorized drop or withdrawal) in all of their classes. No personnel actions, grades, or transcript services will be permitted until all financial obligations, such as unpaid fines have been settled. If a student fails to return the semester immediately following withdrawal, reapplication for admission at will be required.

Students who receive financial aid must consult with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Students holding visas must consult with ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services) regarding effects on their visa status before submitting a withdrawal petition.

Refer to the section on Continuous Attendance and Catalog Rights for information about the possible effect a break in attendance may have on requirements for graduation.