Registration - Priority Groups
Current work-in-progress is used to determine class level for registration purposes. All priority groups are approved by the Student Success Committee of the Academic Senate.
Students who are required by external agencies such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association, or by law, to receive priority. This excludes students covered by SB 412, the California Promise program unless they also fall under another group with required priority registration.
Students whose contributions to the university are recognized as being so extensive that their graduation would be postponed by the amount of time spent on their extracurricular duties.
Students serving on Senate committees that require student participation in order to perform essential functions.
Students who are part of any group that has a contractual agreement with SJSU to provide a full course load. Groups in this category include:
- Accessible Education Center (AEC) students
- AEC note takers
- Associated Students Board of Directors
- Student Fairness Committee Members
- NCAA Athletics
- Guardian Scholars
- Reciprocal Exchange students
- Veterans and active service members (as per Cal. Educ. Code %66025.8)
- Appropriately certified students with disabilities
- Certain students who represent or serve San José State University
- Students in certain programs with rigid registration requirements
- Foster youths
- Graduating seniors (those who have a graduation application on file with an anticipated graduation date for the current or next semester) in the California Promise program
- Remaining graduating students (bachelors- and graduate-level students who have a graduation application on file with an anticipated graduation date for the current or next semester)
- Non-graduating Graduate students based on rotating alphabetical groupings
- Seniors in the California Promise Program
- Non-graduating Seniors based on alphabetical groupings
- Second Baccalaureate students based on alphabetical groupings
- Juniors in the California Promise Program
- All other Juniors based on rotating alphabetical groupings
- Sophomore and continuing Freshmen in the California Promise Program
- All other Sophomores and continuing Freshmen based on rotating alphabetical groupings
NOTE: First-Time Frosh registration is completed through Frosh Orientation In coming transfer student have a registration date dependent on when they matriculate.