Graduate Credit for Units Completed as a Graduating Senior

Seniors at San José State University may petition through their major departments to receive graduate credit for 200-level (graduate) courses completed in their final two undergraduate semesters, provided the following conditions are met:

  1. No more than 15 semester units are needed to complete a baccalaureate degree at San José State University.
  2. None of the courses to be taken for graduate credit is required for or used to satisfy requirements of the bachelor's degree, including unit requirements.
  3. The student has at least a 2.5 grade point average in all coursework in upper division standing completed at San José State University.
  4. The student agrees to enroll for no more than the maximum load of 15 units for the term in which this work is taken.
  5. The student has completed the graduation application check in Evaluations, Student Services Center.
  6. The student agrees not to take letter-graded courses for "CR/NC" when graduate credit is requested.
  7. If admitted to a graduate degree program, the student agrees that a maximum of 9 units of transfer credit of any type can be applied to a graduate program. That would include graduate credit earned through this process in addition to units taken in the period between conferral of the bachelor's degree and the start of matriculation as a graduate student. In either case, transfer credit must be approved by the appropriate advisor of the graduate program.

This policy applies solely to graduate classes taken at SJSU; courses taken at other universities or undergraduate classes taken during the undergraduate career do not qualify for transfer into an SJSU graduate program. If the student subsequently matriculates into a graduate program at SJSU and the courses are approved by the program's graduate advisor, the units will be transferred into the graduate career. The grade points will not be included in the student's cumulative grade point average after admission to the Graduate Division.

These policies also apply to students in second baccalaureate status. No courses taken while a student is in second baccalaureate status shall be awarded graduate credit unless the student is within 15 semester units of qualifying for award of the second baccalaureate degree and meets the criteria specified above (including enrollment in all units required for completion of the second baccalaureate degree).

It is recommended that students obtain permission for future graduate credit in writing before enrolling in the graduate classes by means of the Request for Validation of Transfer Credit form available at