Graduate Degree - Program Course Work

The candidacy form, once approved, is an official contract between the student and university. It can be changed only with the permission of the graduate advisor via written petition to the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, and even then the petition is likely to be denied. Course substitutions can be made by submission to GAPE of the Request for Course Substitution in Master's Degree Program, available at A course may not be dropped from the graduate degree program, as indicated by its appearance on an approved candidacy form, once it has been completed.

If a student obtains permission to change programs and the second program has different requirements than the first one, then a new candidacy form must be filed; graded courses on the first form can be eliminated on the second form if not part of the new curriculum.