Graduation - Applying for the Master's Degree
The Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy Form must be approved by the GAPE office before applying for graduation. Students should apply for graduation at least one year before the date of anticipated graduation.
Advancement to candidacy is permitted only when all conditions of admission, if applicable, are met, nine letter-graded units, all with grades of C or better and a GPA of 3.0 or better have been achieved, and the graduate GWAR has been completed. For detailed information about these requirements, please visit sjsu.edu/gape/current_students/completing_masters/
IMPORTANT: Eligible students can apply for graduation through self-service within their MySJSU account approximately two weeks after students have been approved for advancement to candidacy by the GAPE office. Students will be sent a MySJSU message including instructions and prompting them to apply for graduation. Only students that apply for graduation will be considered for graduation review.
Please note the following:
- All courses and requirements must be completed by the date of graduation.
- Any Incomplete (I), Report Delayed (RD), or Report Pending (RP) grades must be cleared before the degree can be awarded. Once the degree has been
- posted, no grade changes can be made to the record.
- If a student is unable to complete the course work stipulated on the "candidacy form" or if the date of graduation is delayed, a Graduation Date Change
- Request for Award of Master's Degree must be requested through sjsu.edu/gape/forms/ (see Online Graduation Date Change Request)
- Required forms must be submitted by the deadlines posted on the GAPE website at sjsu.edu/gape/current_ students/deadlines/
- Students are urged not to delay; failure to submit forms by the deadlines posted could delay graduation.