Calculus Placement Examination (ALEKS)
The Calculus Placement Exam is offered to students who would like to place into MATH 030, MATH 030P, MATH 030PL, or MATH 071, and have not yet satisfied the prerequisites (MATH 071: MATH 018A/019 or SAT 570+ or ACT 23+; MATH 030: MATH 019 with B or better; Math 030P/030PL: MATH 019 with C- or better). See testing.sjsu.edu/CalcPE, Testing Office, Industrial Studies Building Room 228; 408-924-5980; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entering frosh who plan to take MATH 30 or MATH 71 their first semester should take the Calculus Placement Exam prior to attending orientation. Exams are offered throughout September through January for Spring admits and May through August for Fall admits. Check the Testing Office website for details at testing.sjsu.edu.
- For course registration information regarding Calculus I (MATH 030, MATH 030P, and Math 030PL) and MATH 071 see www.sjsu.edu/math/calculus.
Placement Through External Exams
- Any student who has earned a 3 or higher on the AP Calculus AB or Calculus BC/AB Subscore has credit for MATH 30 (Calculus I) and is eligible to enroll in Math 31 (Calculus II).
- Any student who has earned a 3 or higher on the AP Calculus BC have credits for Math 30 (Calculus I) and Math 31 (Calculus II) and is eligible enroll to in Math 32 (Calculus III).
- Any student who has earned a 50 or higher on the CLEP Calculus has credit for Math 30 (Calculus I) and is eligible to enroll in Math 31 (Calculus II).
- Any student who has earned a 50 or 70 on the CLEP Pre-Calculus have credit for Math 19 (Pre-Calculus) and is eligible to enroll in Math 30P or Math 30PL (Calculus I).
- Any student who has earned a 71 or 80 on the CLEP Pre-Calculus have credit for Math 19 (Pre-Calculus) and is eligible to enroll in Math 30 (Calculus I).
- Any student who has earned a 50 or higher on the CLEP College Algebra has credit for Math 018A and is eligible to enroll in Math 71.
Calculus Placement Exam Dates
The Calculus Placement Exam at SJSU is conducted through ALEKS PPL, an adaptive online program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student's strengths and weaknesses.
It consists of 3 parts:
- Initial Assessment (30 questions, about 60-90 minutes to complete)
- Prep and Learning Module (individualized, self-paced online review, with up to 2 practice tests)
- Access to 2 Proctored Placement Assessments (proctored by the SJSU Testing Office)
For additional information on the CPE are posted at testing.sjsu.edu/CalcPE
Registration and Payment
See information on testing.sjsu.edu.
Students needing accommodations can take the Calculus Placement Exam through the AEC. Registration can be done after payment and directly through the AEC.