Grades - Withdrawal - "W"

The symbol "W" on the official transcript indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the drop deadline for the term with the approval of the appropriate campus administrator. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points. However, there are limits on the number of allowable units of "W" on the unofficial transcript. Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 units. Postbaccalaureate students may withdraw from no more than 12 units. Graduate students may withdraw from no more than 9 units. Exceptions to these unit limits are granted when the cause of withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student's control and the assignment of an Incomplete is not practicable. Such exceptions are designated "WB" for internal processing of drops and withdrawals, and will revert to "W" on the transcript (University Policy S09-7).

Undergraduates may download the appropriate petition (course drop or withdrawal from all courses) at

Graduate Students may download the Course Drop/Semester Withdrawal petition at