Grade Forgiveness (Formerly known as "Academic Renewal")
Course Repeats with "Grade Forgiveness."
Formerly known as "Academic Renewal" at SJSU, Grade Forgiveness is the circumstance in which the new grade replaces the former grade with respect to the calculation of GPA. The original grade remains on the transcript.
- Undergraduate and postbaccalaureate students may repeat a maximum of 16 units of total Grade Forgiveness, consisting of a combination of up to 9 units (maximum) of lower division (numbered 0-99) course work, and up to 9 units (maximum) of upper division (numbered 100-199) course work.
- Graduate (numbered 200-299) course work is not eligible for Grade Forgiveness. Graduate students are not eligible for Grade Forgiveness, but may repeat up to 9 units of upper division or graduate course work through Grade Averaging.
- Grade Forgiveness will be assigned automatically for all eligible courses as soon as a student registers. Eligible courses include those courses with earned grades lower than a "C" (including "WU", "IC"; but excluding "NC"). Once the pool of available units is insufficient for the next repeated course, unused units may be applied to a future course of lower unit value or simply left unused in the pool. If a repeated course is dropped prior to the Drop Deadline or a "W" is recorded for a repeated course, then the Grade Forgiveness units return to the pool of available lower division or upper division units, as appropriate.
- To opt out of grade forgiveness: A student may petition to have a repeated course NOT be granted Grade Forgiveness. Such petitions must be submitted prior to the Census Date for the term in which the course is repeated. See www.sjsu.edu/ugs for instructions and forms.
- Students may repeat an individual course for Grade Forgiveness only once.
- Grade Forgiveness shall not be applicable to courses for which the original grade was the result of a finding of academic dishonesty.
Grade Forgiveness that results in a higher GPA will not remove a prior academic standing.
The policy regarding repetition of courses with Grade Forgiveness apply only to courses taken and repeated at SJSU (University Policy F08-2)