San José State University

Main Navigation

Shortcut Icons

Main Content

SJSU Catalog catalog image

Continuous Attendance and Catalog Rights

Undergraduate students acquire "catalog rights" with respect to the requirements for a degree program by maintaining continuous attendance. A student who has been enrolled either at a California Community College or in regular sessions at a CSU campus for at least one semester or two quarters of consecutive calendar years is considered to be in "continuous attendance." Once a student has established their "catalog rights" their absence related to an approved medical, military, or educational leave or for attendance at another accredited institution of higher learning shall not be considered an interruption, providing the absence does not exceed two years.

This concept is important because continuous attendance affects the requirements a student must meet to graduate from a CSU campus. San Jose State University issues a new on-line catalog every year which is the official record of all the degrees and degree requirements for the programs at SJSU. These degree requirements may change from one catalog to the next.

A student, who has been in continuous attendance, may normally choose to meet the SJSU campus graduation requirements in force:

  1. at the time they began continuous enrollment at a California community college or other CSU campus; or
  2. at the time they entered SJSU; or
  3. at the time they graduate from SJSU.

By maintaining continuous attendance and selecting option (1) or (2), students can be assured that their SJSU campus graduation requirements will not change. Their right to choose one of these options is called "catalog rights." SJSU will use the matriculation term (i.e. option 2) as the initial option (default) for all students; however, students transferring from a CCC or CSU, who would benefit from an earlier term based on continuous enrollment, may request option (1) or (3) from the Office of the Registrar.

If a student is following an earlier version of a program in which their department has discontinued or modified required courses, the department may authorize appropriate substitutions.

If while enrolled a student changes their major, concentration, or minor they may be required to complete the major or minor requirements in effect at the time of the change. However, they may continue to follow the University, General Education and Mathematics and Writing requirements listed in the University Catalog for which you claim "Catalog rights," as defined above.

Note: Effective Fall 2013, many programs that previously required more than 120 units to graduate will be reduced to 120 units. Please check catalog or Academic Advisor for new requirements.