Early Start Program
Get an early start on your SJSU degree.
The California State University implemented a new academic readiness program in the summer of 2012. This program, called Early Start, requires first-year students with Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) scores below 50 and English Placement Test (EPT) scores below 138 to begin working towards college readiness in the summer prior to their freshman year. Early Start is intended to help students begin university study in the fall with a higher level of academic preparation and to aid them in completing their remedial classes within the one year limit.
Who will be required to participate in Early Start?
- Students with an ELM score below 50 must participate in the Early Start Math Program during the summer of 2014.
- Students with an EPT score below 138 must participate in the Early Start English Program during the summer of 2014.
- Students who fall into one of the following categories do not have to participate:
-- Residents of a state other than California
-- International students
-- Students participating in an Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) or Athletics Summer Bridge activity
-- Students admitted after August 1
-- Students with an Early Assessment Program (EAP) status of Conditionally Ready in Mathematics (math exemption only)
-- Students with an Early Assessment Program (EAP) status of Conditionally Ready in English (English exemption only)
How Do I Register for the Early Start Program?
STEP 1: Use your SJSU Smart Page to tell us where you intend to fulfill your Early Start requirement.
- Log in to your MySJSU account and navigate to your Student Center.
- Scroll down to the Admissions section at the bottom of the page and click the "Early Start" link, which will take you to your Smart Page.
- Read through your Early Start requirement in mathematics and English.
- Using the pull-down menus, select the CSU campus at which you intend to fulfill your Early Start requirement, if you have one. (As an admitted Spartan, you are strongly advised to participate in Early Start at SJSU.)
- You must make your selections before June 17 or the first day of Frosh Orientation, whichever comes first. If you do not make your selections before then, you may be barred from attending Frosh Orientation.
STEP 2: Register and pay for your Early Start classes.
- If you selected SJSU in Step 1 above, an Early Start registration link will appear in the Academics section of your MySJSU account within three days. In addition, registration instructions will be posted to your MySJSU account within a week. You can also view these instructions by clicking on the "Early Start FAQs" link at the bottom of this page.
- If you selected a CSU campus other than SJSU in Step 1, the campus you selected will contact you with registration instructions.
|Early Start FAQs|
|Early Start Course Descriptions|